Monday, August 28, 2006

More ridiculous ticketing at Critical Mass


Will from On Ny Turf, got a ticket at the last critical mass for not being to far over to the right...while stopped at a red light. Check out the full description of what happened.

"Hard to imagine I might ever hear those worlds given some of my views, but that is what NYPD Officer 757 told me as he gave me a ticket friday night while I was waiting at a red light. My penance for riding Critical Mass this month."
---------------
Also Chia had this happen to her on Friday morning

Hey, g'morning.

I was riding over the Williamsburg Bridge this morning, as usual. I've noticed, along with everybody else, the recent presence of a lot of cops on the bridge lately. Especially the ones that sit in their 3-wheeler carts right in the middle of the bike path. I will admit that I tend to yell at the ones that block traffic as I go by. I try to let them know that I don't appreciate their presence, and that they're making things more dangerous for everybody. Today was no different.

There was a cop parked on the right (uphill) lane of the Brooklyn side, clogging things up, and I let him know that as I went by. Within 20 seconds, he was behind me, beeping to get past me. I didn't move aside at all, so he had to wait until the downhill side was clear, then he buzzed by me up the bridge. I caught up to him again almost at the top of the bridge, where he had parked again in the right (uphill) lane. I saw him check me out coming up behind him, and so I let him know he was still in the way. On the way down the bridge, I noticed that this guy was now following me down the bridge in his little cart. Close to the bottom of the bridge, he passed me by again on the left, only to stop short and park again on the right (now downhill) side, almost at the very bottom of the Manhattan side. I had to pass this guy again on the left, and as I did I observed him checking me out and talking into his radio. As I got off the bridge and popped onto Delancey, I noticed a police car pull out into traffic right behind me. This guy then proceeded to TAIL me for about four blocks, until I think I ended up losing him in traffic around Chrystie St. Nothing more really happened, and the rest of my commute was relatively smooth.

So that's my story. Nothing too dramatic, unless police harassment counts. It really sucks to say, though, that police intimidation is pretty routine now in this city.

But I figured that I should pass along this story to you, and whomever else you see fit to spread it along to. (Feel free to spread, by the way). Especially with tonight being the Mass - be aware that the cops are already out in force. And it seems like they're itching for a fight.

chia basinger.

1 Comments:

Blogger Paul Tay said...

Santa takes a victory lap. Only on Pimp

12:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home