Why they still don't get it:
This is kind of like why a few token days of shutting down streets for a few hours is no way to encourage more people to ride bikes. It makes it trival and fun and not sustainable and practical.
Here is what is right about this ad:
1) Gas prices are too inflated and riding a bike is a good solution.
But instead here is what this ad conveys:
1) That the only reason to ride a bike is because gas prices are too high, because your credit sucks from buying too much shit you never could afford in the first place. Remember, these are the guys who had to work in the seafood joint and where ridiculous uniforms to try and get back their credit score.
2) That this crummy bike was the only thing they could afford
3) That cyclists are all dorks and losers who don't have cars.
4) That non one is safe from annoying catchy jingles that repeat themselves over and over again.
5) that Cops and cyclists can ride together in harmony.
Thanks again advertising world, for taking serious issues and an opportunity to get more people on bikes and making cyclists look like dorks with crappy bikes who should feel like losers cause they can't afford a car.