Thursday, April 24, 2008

Thanks to Gothamist and BikeSnob

Well according to the comments I got on Gothamist, you'd be hard pressed to believe you were reading the work of the biggest sucker on the planet. I had to share my experience with the online community in the hopes of people looking for my bike and possibly getting it back, despite the scathing comments I knew I would be subjected to. I'm not looking for any sympathy here. Yes, it was a very embarrassing experience, but you learn from it. Perhaps if I had read about a scam like this on someone else's blog, I would never have given up my bike the way I did. Especially when I found out from other people that this same thing had happened to them...in the same part of town. I'm not going to live my life as an paranoid recluse never trusting humanity again. Live and learn. Perhaps more people can share their bike theft stories and we can begin to look out for one another and not just look the other way when that person is cutting a bike lock with a hack saw. It takes the better man to admit when you've been had, and the cowards who make anonymous comments are not contributing to anything. I hope they never need help in a situation or become the unfortunate victim of a crime.

Big shout out to BikeSnob. He really made an excellent post and had some really good advice about dealing with bike theft. Thanks to him and Gothamist for helping out.

A few people wanted to know about my renters insurance. I've had State Farm for years. You pay $270 for the year and it covers theft and fire. It also covers property loss even if its outside of your home. You pay a $500.00 deductible, so the value of the loss has to somewhat worth it. You call the insurance company and explain what happened, then a separate insurance agent gets assigned to your case. in which you list the value of the property lost and provide them with as much accurate records as you can. They did not ask for the police report in my situation, but I'm sure that is case specific.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your story was just mentioned on The Brian Lehrer Show, 10:45

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike,

Your blog came up on a google search for 'stolen bikes nyc'. I wish I had come across your blog not even 2 days sooner, because the same thing just happened to me last night on e. houston. It was a different man, but the situation was nearly identical. I cannot believe this is happening with such frequency. I,too, am extremely embarrassed but now knowing that I'm not the only person who would fall victim to a scam like that, I think awareness is definitely an issue. these guys are ruthless, i'm a 5'0, 19 year old girl with a tiny ass bike, and this middle aged man didn't even think twice!

-chanae
chanaemariemarie@gmail.com

2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did the car keys work or not? This seems like the biggest reason why you fell for the scam but you never mention what happened with them after your bike was stolen.

BTW, condolences. I hope your get your bike back and the asshole gets his.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Dust said...

Condolences for sure. Remember Pee Wee's Big Adventure? Remember when Pee Wee got his bike stolen and then he saw everyone riding bikes? Man that sucks. I feel for you (and Pee Wee).

Thanks for having the courage to tell your story so other people might learn. I know I'm not going to let ANYONE ride my bike.

I hope you find your bike before you have to pay your deductible.

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might want to consider registering your next bike with the National Bike Registry

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home