Friday, October 19, 2007

What was going on in Brooklyn?

Brooklyn drivers have really lost their minds. Maybe they think all bets are off when it comes to operating their vehicles in this lawless borough.

Now I don't want to make comparisons in anyway here. What happened are isolated instances and, well lets just say I got off light.

Yesterday, Wednesday...October 17th, for the first time in my 17 years of riding..in NYC...wait a second...17 and 17, thats creepy. I was hit by a mini van in the heart of the Hasidic part of Williamsburg Brooklyn. Surprise surprise for a group of people so well known for their driving skills...NOT. This part of Brooklyn is home to 57,000 Satmar Hasidic Jews and just about all of them seem to own mini vans. Now they may have their own version of Judisim, their own laws and customs which may seem alien to the influx of hipsters moving in right next store...but this does not absolve them from driving with the same rules of the road we all must adhere to.

That being said, I was riding my fixed gear down Roebling Street, North towards Broadway, to go to the bank. I see this Green mini van half way out into the intersection of South 9th. Roebling is a big two way street, and this intersection is huge. The van is making an illegal U-turn, only slowly, not whipping around. I decide to try and go to his front side...he must have seen me...in fact we made eye contact. Then a flukey thing happened, maybe out of panic, but one of my cleats comes out of the clipless pedals and there is no way for me to stop...I'm gonna hit something. But this van has ample time to stop. He barley clips me in the front wheel and I go over the handle bars. This elderly man says, "are you ok" as he slowly drives off, leaving me in the intersection. My back wheel won't move and it turns out its just the chain caught. Now I'm ok, a few scrapes...I don't say anything and one person in the crowd of people who watched this spectacle shouts..."Damn, son, I would have choked him." I just pull out a pad of paper I carry on me in my RELOAD side pouch and proceed to write down the plates as this van is slowly driving away. Green Mini Van...DYS 3310 (New York Plates) Now what to do? I've been thinking about this situation, just about every time I strap on my helmet and wonder if today will be my last. I feel fine. I look down and see that my right front bullhorn handlebar has taken the brunt of the crash. Its bent in and twisted up, but the rest of my indestructible orange KHS seems to be fine...wheels true...crank tight. Then I call 911 and report a Hit and Run accident.
The crowd still can't get over how calm I am...maybe I'm in shock. Out of procedure the fire truck shows up, then the cops and then the paramedics. I fill out all the information, give the cops my id, get checked out by the paramedics and assure them I don't need to go to the hospital. I get a number to call for the accident report and complaint number. I can just see how this thing could pan out. The van is registered to some Puerto Rican in the Bronx, I have to go to a line up and identify 6 of the Hasidim and one guy they threw in there with glue on side curls. The old man only speaks Hebrew and has no recollection of the incident. I'm not looking for a lawsuit here, just trying to fallow through. At the bare minimum I could get a new set of handlebars and maybe keep this guy reading Talmud and not operating a vehicle...who knows. Besides the cops being really friendly and attentive, there was also a local super of a building nearby that said he would be a witness.

If anyone knows a place to get straight bars...I'm in need of a new pair.

Then yesterday...Real tragedy stikes.

This comes from WABC and posted on:

streets blog

2 cyclists were killed in Brooklyn.

"Two men, both bicyclists, were killed in separate accidents in Brooklyn Thursday morning.

In the first, police say a bicyclist was struck and killed by an oil truck at the intersection of Union Avenue and Ten Eyck Street in the East Williamsburg section of Brooklyn.

The bicyclist, a 26-year-old Massachusetts resident, was hit while cycling in the wrong direction just after 4:15 a.m.

He was allegedly trying to beat the oil truck, turning from southbound Union Avenue to Ten Eyck Street, when he was struck.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

No charges were filed.

Later, authorities say a 25-year-old bicyclist was struck by a white passenger van at the intersection of Utica Avenue and Fulton Street in the Bedford-Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn.

The bicyclist was pronounced dead at the scene, in front of a church.

The driver of the passenger van was not immediately charged. The accident was under investigation.

A woman who lives near Union and Ten Eyck describes the scene:

I came up to the intersection this morning at around 7 a.m., and it had crime scene tape around it. There was a large truck (like an oil truck perhaps) stopped, post turn, and when I turned to look I saw a bicycle completely flattened under the back left tire. The person had been removed from the scene, but from the somber expressions and the remains on the road it was clear that this individual didn't survive. I would like to honor my neighbor in some way. This is so sad. I ride a bike pretty frequently and run all the time in the neighborhood. The intersection is absolutely terrible, people just peel around and often come very close to hitting me or my dog. As a matter of fact, I was just telling my friend on Monday about almost being hit a few blocks up from this (when I had a walk sign). Actually, all the intersections along Union Avenue in WBurg are like that. It is really, really hard to cross the street. The intersection where this tragedy occurred is a "T" so you can really only cross when the walk light says stop, because no one ever, ever, ever pays attention to the walk signal when they have the green light. This is so sad and senseless. After I walked by the scene, I saw so many cars in a rush try to run over pedestrians at Grand and Union, a few blocks away. I saw a car honking at a cyclist and come aggressively close to him on Union just past Grand. It is so sad. Is there anythign we can do to make drivers more accountable for their recklessness? "

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry you got hit, that sucks. But why the need to blame this on a group of people? An individual did this, and it sounds like the problem was his age, not his religion.

6:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

man that sucks. i'm glad you're ok and you were able to handle everything.

i know exactly what you mean about riding there. i've almost been killed multiple times riding in that area, also by minivans who weren't paying any attention to cyclists on the road.

my gf was doored in park slope 2 weeks ago (in one of the most bike-friendly areas of brooklyn).. the whole thing is really frustrating..

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In your profile picture you are riding your bike HANDS FREE, you are holding a laptop computer and focusing on it.

Seeing this I now have a different perspective of the events that allegedly has happened to you as you describe it.

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow.. haters totally missing the point: these streets are still not safe for cyclists.

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad you are ok...

Let me start by saying that I live on Ten Eyck Street and I woke up to the sreams of a trucker (I assume) at 4:20am and as I looked out my window I saw the body of this young man in between the wheels of the gas truck, I don't know who's fault it might have been, but does that matter?Someones life was taken and I as a mother would definitly want more that a couple of fines given to the person that did this!!! I hope he is able to live with himself...I have not been able to sleep knowing what occured in my neighborhood, I guess many people can ignore all of this but as a human I think that no one deserves to die this way. How can you possibly not see a bike or a grown man on a bike in this case, and how fast can you go on a one way street that only goes up 1 1/2 blocks more? I mean learn the facts people this was obviously the truckers fault!

4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was there, I saw it with my own eyes! This horrible accident happend in front of my face, Imagine my dismay.l My stomach turn, my tears of pain for the family. People can say i can imagine what you are going through,m but they can't. Not being able to sleep, eat or even drive. At 6:15 in the morning on my way to work, just about to let my son jump out of the car God is so good, to me and my loved ones, I can't imagine the pain he suffered and the pain his family will suffer. Yes the van was speeding , but the biker ran the light . At any speed he would have gotten hit, why run the light and at 6:15 in the morning it is still very dark outside, he couldn't be seen. my heart and prayers go out to the family.

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
I was there, I saw it with my own eyes! This horrible accident happend in front of my face, Imagine my dismay. My stomach turn, my tears of pain for the family. People can say i can imagine what you are going through, but they can't. Not being able to sleep, eat or even drive. At 6:15 in the morning on my way to work, just about to let my son jump out of the car, God is so good, to me and my loved ones, I can't imagine the pain he suffered and the pain his family will suffer. Yes the van was speeding , but the biker ran the light. At any speed he would have gotten hit, why run the light and at 6:15 in the morning it is still very dark outside, he couldn't be seen. my heart and prayers go out to the family.

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"cleats comes out of the clipless pedals and there is no way for me to stop"

All other accidents aside, it sounds like yours could have been avoided if you weren't riding a fixie.

Yes, the streets aren't safe for us cyclists. That is why we should take every procaution we can. You goddamned hipsters need to get a full set of breaks and a freewheel. Maybe wear a helmet...

just sayin'

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perfect example of how rotten Hasidim are. Yes, it was one old man, but they're all the same.

I, too, just yesterday, was robbed by a black man. Man, why are all blacks such lowlife criminals?

Oh, and btw, I'm a Hasid. And just the other day I passed a goy who spat and said "Fucking Yahud." An Arab. But all Arabs are the same. As are all goyim, of course.

Shame on you. You met an old man who was a prick. Has nothing to do with him being a Hasid.

1:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You made me remember my first driving experience.
My instructor did not tell me anything, even "beware of Volvo drivers cause they think they are road owners".
But I think that we have to avoid vans, cause every man with a van thinks that he is a king of a road, and he really does whatever he wants, and this is a problem, especially for beginners.
In sum at my first lesson I was hit by a white van man. very pity.

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home